Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Yoga Into Summer Challenge - Musing #5 - Memory Treasure Hunt

I was reading an article about how pleasant memories have a great effect on our body and mind. A scent, a melody, a flavor, sound, laughter can transport us back to a place of joy and happiness even if for a moment. It can lift up our mood and all of a sudden we can feel the same way as we did when the memory was created. Time stops and our body reacts pleasantly. Some scientific studies show that these memories and positive thoughts free up a hormone called DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) that is responsible for rejuvenation, send more blood to the brain and our heart-beat becomes calmer. We become calmer, come up with better ideas and just feel happier. So in case you feel down, pull up some fun memory and get in a better mood.

Have things around that bring those memories up. Photos, books, small presents, songs, poems, and more. Enjoy them when you are down. The photo above I just found again as I was clearing out my photo libraries. It was taken in Szeged, my home town a few years back in one of the main squares of the city. It was a gorgeous Spring day with warm and soft rain and we were out with my little niece and nephew. We were playing hide and seek, chasing pigeons, had ice cream and just walked and walked. Just looking at the shiny cobble stones, the kids running after the pigeons I am there again. I can even see everyone faces, the clear streets after the rain and dripping ice cream on my nephew's chin. One of the many happy memories from my "h(om)ecomings".

And how does this relate to yoga? Yoga that teaches that we need to be in the present moment? Well, we have to arrive to that present moment from somewhere. We are made up of so many memories, ingrained experiences we carry from our recent and generations-back past (as discussed in the first Blog Entry), our aspirations for the future and certainly we are complex. In my view yoga is here to help us sort through all this mind-stuff. When you teach your body to move with your breath, to breathe with your movement, when you find the clarity of the mind for a (nano-)second in your practice you are making choices on the mat and off the mat as well: what should influence you, what should stay with you and what to let go of. And those experiences (even from your mat) will steer you towards a more peaceful and happy existence. Yes, we know now that this journey is a long one, but hey, more time to make even more lovely and recallable memories. :)

Therefore, if we want pleasant memories, what we do now is vital. In my yoga practice, I try to make each breath and its coordinating movement bring me joy and pleasure. And - even though it is harder - I try to do the same off the mat in my every days as well.

This week dig deep and bring up some fun and happy memories, give yourself a little time to "indulge" in those memories and notice how you feel. Happy memory treasure hunt! And if you would like to share it with us, please do on our Blog. We can always learn something from eachother.

Namaste

:) Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment