Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yoga Into Summer Challenge - Musings #4 - The Soul Gardener

It is spring time. It is time to plant the seeds and to tend to your gardens. The beautiful gardens outside and our inner garden as well. Just like in the real gardens, the work in our inner garden can be challenging at times. Therefore, today I just wanted to share two little fables I found while reading the Yoga International magazine. They are about accepting what we have, who we are, where we are at any given moment...

"Mulla Nasrudin decided to start a flower garden. He prepared the soil and planted the seeds of many beautiful flowers. But when they came up, his garden was filled not just with his chosen flowers but also overrun with dandelions. He sought out advice from gardeners all over and tried every method known to get rid of them but no avail. Finally he walked all the way to the capital to speak with the royal gardener at the sheik's palace. The wise old man has counseled many gardeners before and suggested a variety of remedies to expel the dandelions but Mulla Nasredin had tried them all. Then they sat together in silence for some time... And finally the royal gardener looked at Nasrudin and said: "Well... then I suggest that you learn to love them."
-- Sufi
From Soul Food to Nourish the Spirit and the Heart - edited by Jack Kornfield and Christina Feldman.

The fable teaches us to love all our little flaws, making peace with possible injuries, health conditions that might seem as an obstacle in letting our deep and true self bloom. They are there for a reason. By accepting them, caring for them we learn. The greatest power we all possess is the ability to make choices about ourselves. How we want to conduct our lives should come from a deeper understanding, a deeper wisdom.

"Nasrudin was an old man looking back on his life. He sat with his friends in the tea shop telling his story.
"When I was young I was fiery-I wanted to awaken everyone. I prayed to God to give me strength to change the world... In mid-life I awoke one day and realized my life was half over and I had changed noone. So I prayed to God to give me the strength to change those close around me who so much needed it... Alas, now I am old and my prayer is even simpler. God, I ask, please give me the strength to at least change myself. "


-- Sufi 
From Soul Food to Nourish the Spirit and the Heart - edited by Jack Kornfield and Christina Feldman.

What are the "dandelions" in your life? Find them, name them, sit with them, and start trying to love them. It is not always easy but what a great and freeing feeling once you do... the choice is only yours. And once you do, you become a great example for many to follow...

Happy "soul gardening"!

No comments:

Post a Comment