Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Year's Yoga Inspirations - Bonnie Foote

My winter practice steals in on me. The frozen trees outside the window pull my gaze in and preach silence. My morning energy practice becomes just sitting, just breathing, just letting the shoulders fall. Just letting the energy fully settle in my heart takes an hour and is completely absorbing.

I tried a stillness practice over Thanksgiving, for the second time, just me, my cat and 48 hours of Savasana. It’s not boring. The thoughts swirl and swirl and swirl, like snowflakes (remember snowflakes?), and you learn how much you can sleep, which is a lot. Then just as the thoughts start to settle the last hour comes from nowhere with a gold light that slams you to the ground you were already lying on, arms splayed and totally happy, like a silly carpet angel. After that I didn’t practice for a while; my body really liked being still.

Coming back to the practice after more stillness is embarrassingly revelatory. It should have been obvious to begin with: when I’m steady, when I can let go, when I’m not tight and shaky from my day, my poses go further. So that’s what I’ve been working on: not building up the tension in the first place... taking my time, not overstuffing the day, letting the transitions and the travel take as long as the transitions and the travel need to take, maybe longer. I think of Thich Nhat Hanh, who enjoys getting to airports early and waiting, and try to emulate him. This doesn’t always work. I think the Metro god thinks it’s funny. Sorry, Saturday’s Intermediates... When I remember, I attend to the pauses between poses. I try to speak calmly and try not to beat myself up when I don’t--as still happens every time I teach a standing sequence. You can notice this in class, but promise to take pity! I think I will be working on all this for a very, very, very long time.But also, other things will come in. A few bulbs are sprouting, to tell us so. It’s going to be an interesting year, decade, century. I’m looking forward to spending 2012 with you all. Please feel free to remind me, sometimes, as things get more and more intriguing, to be still!

Lots of love, Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment