Monday, January 23, 2012

New Year's Yoga Inspirations - Trisha Nakano

What does the New Year mean to you on and off the mat?

I have given up making resolutions. They tend to make me feel bad when I don’t stick to them. For me, the new year offers a time to re-calibrate, to come back to a deeper intention. It is a time for me to think about how I want to step forth into the new year.

A few months ago, I was working with a particularly ornery 3 year old. I asked him, “Do you want me to help you clean up the blocks or do you want to do it yourself?” “I want to do it myself!” “Awesome. Here’s the bag.”

With choice, brings empowerment. Recently, one of my mantras has been, “At any moment, I can choose to wake up.” I can choose to be grumpy or I can choose to laugh it off. I can choose to become obsessed with material wants or I can appreciate the many, many blessings in my life. In recognizing that at every moment I have a choice, I begin to understand that I am responsible for the life I create.

It so happens, that my birthday is the day after new years, so folded into my reflections of the past year is a recognition of the passage of time. Over the holidays I was at my parents’ house sorting through boxes and boxes of childhood memories. I found cards that read, “Wow! 17! We are getting so old” and “Wow! Can you believe we are 25?” I can bemoan the fact that I am no longer 17 or 25 or I can choose to relish my progression in my 30s. I can choose to love this life, or I can choose to reject who I am. It is all a choice.

The days when I could luxuriate in a 2-hour practice on my mat are a distant memory. Now, I gingerly sneak asanas in during naptime or while playing on the floor with a 1-year old crawling on, over and under me. I practice pranayama to calm my baby down and dharana when I focus on the overwhelming love I have for the tender soul in my arms. The two hour asana practices (and a full night's sleep) will re-enter my life at a later date. For now, I choose to embrace a multidimensional yoga practice and wake up to the beauty that is my life.

Sending many, many blessings to you this new year...

No comments:

Post a Comment